Welcome to the Freelance Exchange 2020 Virtual Portfolio Showcase!
Show KC Who’s Behind the Mask!
When seeking freelance work, you have a plethora of options for how to go about obtaining it. You could go on job platforms, go through a headhunter, or respond to every request you see for work on social media. But only The Freelance Exchange offers a premier opportunity to actually get in front of prospective clients to show your work, explain your services, establish rapport, and begin building a relationship.
Join us at the annual Portfolio Showcase to show them exactly who is behind the mask. Get in front of the exact people who are looking for freelance talent, including those from:
- Ad Agencies
- Design Studios
- Large Corporations
- Small Businesses
- and more
“The last two years, I’ve gotten two of my best clients from the Portfolio Showcase!”Matt Nichols, photographer, FX Member
Whether you have a creative portfolio or not, this is a prime opportunity to make connections, establish brand recognition, and network with the very folks who are looking to connect with someone like you!
Note: The panel discussion is designed to educate those who hire freelancers on what to expect when working with a freelance vendor. If you have questions about how to run your own freelance business, please bring your questions to any one of FX’s other year-round events.
Early Bird—FREE, if registered before 11/09
Regular—$15, if registered after 11/09
Deadline to register is 11/12. Don’t miss out!
*You must be an FX member in good standing to exhibit. Not a member? Join today!
How many companies are attending?
Obviously, we can’t say for sure how many will visit the event exactly (especially in this new virtual world!), but we can tell you about our efforts and what we’ve experienced in the past:
- We e-mail nearly 1,200 prospective clients. Many organizations will pass the information on to their members, employees or staff, so the number of people who hear about the event is even more.
- We send press releases to many publications and media outlets, vying for air time on radio and television stations, and working with area professional organizations to promote our event.
- We utilize social media, with regular tweets, Instagram posts, Facebook invites, Meetup invites and LinkedIn announcements. Help us spread the word through your own social media networks!
- We’re honestly not sure what to expect this year going all virtual. In the past, our attendance has varied from 50-200+. It could be less, or (our hope) it could be more since it will be easily accessible and not require any drive time.
- We suggest inviting your own clients, prospects and peers! Not only will it bring more people to the Showcase, but it will help you. Your clients will appreciate you taking the time to tell them about it, as opposed to the standard “Just calling to see if you have any work for me” calls they usually get. Also, it gives you anon-sales excuse to contact prospects that have been tough to get to or that you really want to work with. Don’t view it as inviting them to check out your competition. View it instead as an opportunity to pair them up with a team of individuals to form a virtual agency. It’s their one-stop shop!
What types of companies are attending?
- We invite a wide variety of companies, ad agencies and organizations from various industries.
- The advertising, PR, design, and marketing sector has been heavily targeted, but that’s not all. We also specifically target small businesses that need outside help.
- We directly invited folks from the top companies in banking, insurance, real estate, engineering, architecture, Internet development, education, travel, retail, and more.
- There will be a good cross-section of company types and sizes, so plan accordingly with the samples you show.
When should I arrive?
We suggest you have your portfolio page on the FX site updated and ready to go well in advance. Many people will be scoping out profiles prior to the event. Everyone is welcome to join us for the panel discussion at 2 pm. Otherwise, please plan to join us on Zoom a few minutes prior to 3 pm so that we may send you into your breakout room.
What should I do to prepare for the showcase?
Need help updating your member portfolio? Want a list of Best Practices?
What should I wear?
- Most exhibitors dress as they would for a client meeting. You’ll see everything from jeans and T-shirts to business suits.
- Most attendees come in biz casual attire, so feel free to dress accordingly.